Beginning Witch Craft: Which Witch Are You?
When you are beginning Wicca or Witch Craft, the first thing you must know is what sort to practice.
You need to find the version that will suit you best.
There are many kinds of paganism, Wicca, and Witch Craft, and not all will work equally well for you.
Exploring Your Witch Craft
I recommend spending some time journalling on these questions:
- What drew you to Wicca or Witchcraft in the first place?
- What do you hope to get from being a Witch?
- What moves your soul the most? Being quiet in nature, formal ritual, high drama, music and song, spiritual practices, magick, ...?
- Do you like tradition and hierarchy, or spontaneous responses to your heart's promptings? Or a balance between the two?
- How important to you is being able to work magick? What do you want to be able to do with your magick?
- What are your esoteric skills or desires? Divination, psychic abilities, sensing others' emotions, sensing the Earth energy, feeling One with all existence, astral traveling, ...?
- Do you prefer to do your spiritual work alone or with others? Or both?
- Do you feel a particular affinity for plants, animals, devas, Gaia, the stars, ...?
- Are you looking for a religion to practice from time to time, or something that permeates every aspect of your life?
- Are there certain deities or cultures you resonate with?
- What is the Divine, to you?
- How important to you is living lightly on the Earth?
- What are your long-term spiritual goals?
- What are your values and ideals? What kind of person do you want to be?
- Who are you? Underneath all your roles and masks, who are you, really?
There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. This exploration is simply a starting point for you to find out what kind of Wicca or Witchcraft will work for you.
Your answers will guide you to the right practice.
Follow Your Heart
There are more kinds of paganism, Wicca, and Witchcraft than I am thoroughly familiar with, so I can't guide you through all of them. You will need to do some research and probably try out a few. But here's what I can
Be true to your calling.
Whatever brings you to Witch Craft or Wicca in the first place is likely to be important to stick with. If it's worshipping nature or the Goddess or healing the planet or communicating with plants, that's the core of your practice.
(This is assuming, of course, that you didn't come to Wicca just because it's trendy to be Witches, or you're wanting power over your "enemies," or you're hoping to wiggle your nose and have your house clean itself. These may mature into a true calling. If not, you probably won't go far with your search.)
The one thing I wish to convey to you is that, whatever your soul's longing, there are Witches out there practicing something similar.
You can find that path, or create it yourself.
Be blessed in your journey!
With Brightest Blessings,
Next Article on Wicca and Witchcraft
Beginning Wicca for Beginners