3-Fold House Cleansing Ritual & Blessing
A house cleansing ritual is a way to remove any negative energies that might be lurking in your home.
This is especially useful when...
- Moving into a new house,
- There has been a lot of negativity there,
- You've had a run of bad luck,
- You sense an unwelcome energy-being or ghost,
- Any time the energy feels heavy, dark, lethargic, or grungy.
In fact, it's wonderful to do a purification ritual for your home regularly. You will really notice a difference in the feel of the house, and the smoothness of your life as well! Negative energies have a habit of collecting in our living spaces, and this affects our lives.
Purifying and blessing your home is like Feng Shui without moving the furniture.
help with getting a ghost or "demon" to move on, but it may not. I'm no expert on exorcism, but as I understand it sometimes they need help, or a firm hand.
This ritual is not designed to handle very intense, negative beings that may fight back, and I wouldn't recommend it for that. My advice is to find an expert to help you, or a ritual specifically designed and thoroughly tested
for just such a problem.
There are many different ways to cleanse and purify your house. Here is one of my favourites.
3-Fold House Cleansing Ritual & Blessing
This is a 3-fold cleanse, purification, and blessing. Part of the appeal of the Three-Fold House Cleansing & Blessing Ritual is that you can easily do it on your own, and it is very effective.
It uses 3 different smudges
Wiccan Gods and Goddesses for House Cleansing Ritual
Here are some Deities that could be appropriate for this House Cleansing Ritual:
Artemis is always helpful for protection, Hera or Hestia/Vesta or Durga or Frigg for hearth and home, Tara (white for healing and serenity or red for bringing good things)
Govinda as preserver and protector, Vishnu to maintain. Shiva is always perfect for a purification ritual.
- Begin your house cleansing ritual by grounding, casting a Circle, invoking the elements/directions, and inviting any deities or guides you may like to help you.
(This step is not strictly necessarily, but it will increase the potency of the work and also provide protection against unpleasant energies.)
- Light a candle, invoking Divine Light and/or welcoming the Element of Fire. Wash yourself with the Light.
- Then apply the sage to the candleflame, and get it smouldering. Go around the house in a counterclockwise (Widdershins) direction, wafting the smoke into every corner and closet.
Pay particular attention to areas where water, electricity, or gas comes in or out, where the electrical panel is located, any heat sources, and appliances.
Remember the hallways are rooms of a sort, too.
NOTE: sparks may fall off — use care!
- With the smudge stick, draw a circle or pentacle Above, and one Below, in the centre of each room.
- At every window, and even more so at every entryway, work the smudge in a circle spiraling in to the centre, or draw a pentacle with the smudge.
- While smudging with the sage, repeat this prayer:
Cleanse this house and make it clear —
Only good may enter here!
- When you've completed the house, snuff out the sage.
- Light the cedar, and go around the house. Use the same process, except for the rest you will go clockwise (deosil).
While smudging with the cedar, repeat this:
Blessings grace this cozy place it
All joy and peace may it embrace
- After you've gone through the whole house, snuff out the cedar, and light the sweetgrass.
While smudging with the sweetgrass, in a clockwise (deosil) direction through the house, repeat this:
Infinite Power of the Divine
Protect and bless this house through time!
- Once you've done the inside, go around the entire outside of the house with each smudge just as you did inside, and repeating the pentacle seal on every entryway.
You may also do this around the entire property (unless other families live there too).
- End with this completion:
By the Power of the Divine
This home is Blessed!
- At the end of your house cleansing ritual, devoke any deities, guides, and elements/directions you've invoked, open the Circle, and snuff the candle.
- Take a moment to feel the energy of the house now. It should feel very light, spacious, and clear.
Here's an optional cleansing ritual for mirrors. You can do mirrors the same way you do doors and windows. But try this once and see what happens.
At each mirror, start by smudging a counterclockwise spiral starting in the centre and working your way outwards. Then change the motion, going back and forth from top to bottom as if wiping the mirror clean.
You can use this incantation:
Cleanse this mirror, cleanse and bless it
Only good may be reflected!
Do this as part of your house cleansing ritual, or at any time, for example...
- Whenever you feel that it is unpleasant to look in a mirror
- Whenever you feel your mirrors have seen things that you don't want to hold onto
- When you get a new mirror
House Cleansing Ritual Cautions
Because you're using fire and smoke in this ritual, be sure to take adequate safety precautions.
- As always working with candles and smudges, be careful around flammables.
- Don't leave candles unattended
- When you're done smudging, and an hour later, check that the smudges are completely extinguished, and that no sparks are smouldering around the house
- See the article on smudging for more tips on using a smudge.
- While smudging your smoke detectors may go off if they are very sensitive, or if you are producing a lot of smoke.
You can disarm them, but remember to put them up again after!
- You don't need a lot of smoke, only a trickle is sufficient. This is a lot of smudging... if there's a lot of smoke you might find it hard to breathe.
- It's best to let the sacred smoke settle in to the house if possible. But if anyone has trouble breathing or finds it unpleasant, simply air out the house.
If You Can’t Burn Anything
Some locations, you won’t be able to burn anything... like hospitals, for instance. And sometimes you might just not want to smudge.
Of course there are other cleansing and blessing options you can use.
Sprinkling salt water or water with essence of rose are both excellent alternatives to smudging. You can symbolically sweep out the room, first, using your Broom if you have one.
Also music is really good for cleansing — drumming, singing, bell-ringing, singing bowls, or a mantra such as Om or Hari Om.. all of these will purify the vibrations of the place.
To finish, put blessed flowers or sage or cedar branches around the room, to help maintain a good energy after the cleansing.
With Brightest Blessings,
Next Article on Wicca Rituals
House Cleansing Ritual